Tuesday, April 1, 2008

There are 60+ books Oprah thinks I should read!

In light of my recent rekindled love of reading, I've decided to take on the task of reading all of the books chosen for Oprah's book club. Anyone who knows me knows that I think Oprah is pretty rad, so this will hopefully be a fun experience! Of the 61 (65, technically) books she's chosen since she started announcing book selections in 1996, I've read one. I'm leaving this list here as a sort of master list/ reference point for myself. I'm still trying to process a clever name for this challenge. Hmm.

1. The Deep End Of The Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard
2. Song Of Solomon by Toni Morrison
3. The Book Of Ruth by Jane Hamilton
4. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
5. Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi
6. The Rapture Of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds
7. The Heart Of A Woman by Maya Angelou
8. Songs In Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris
9. A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines
10. Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons
11. A Virtuous Woman by Kaye Gibbons
12. Bill Cosby Trio: The Best Way To Play, The Meanest Thing To Say, and The Treasure Hunt by Bill Cosby
13. Paradise by Toni Morrison
14. Here On Earth by Alice Hoffman
15. Black And Blue by Anna Quindlen
16. Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat
17. I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
18. What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
19. Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
20. Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts
21. Jewel by Bret Lott
22. The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
23. The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
24. White Oleander by Janet Fitch
25. Mother Of Pearl by Melinda Haynes
26. Tara Road by Maeve Binchy
27. River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke
28. Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay
29. A Map Of The World by Jane Hamilton
30. Gap Creek by Robert Morgan
31. Daughter Of Fortune by Isabel Allende
32. Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell
33. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
34. While I Was Gone by Sue Miller
35. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
36. Open House by Elizabeth Berg
37. Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
38. House Of Sand And Fog by Andre Dubus III
39. We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates
40. Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio
41. Stolen Lives: Twenty Years In A Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir
42. Cane River by Lalita Tademy
43. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
44. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
45. Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
46. Sula by Toni Morrison
47. East Of Eden by John Steinbeck
48. Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
49. One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
50. The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
51. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
52. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
53. A Summer Of Faulkner: As I Lay Dying, The Sound And The Fury, and Light In August by William Faulkner
54. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
55. Night by Elie Wiesel
56. The Measure Of A Man by Sidney Poitier
57. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
58. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
59. Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
60. The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett
61. A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
62. The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I've read none of those. I guess Oprah and I really don't have the same taste in books. No sci-fi or homoeroticism. ;)

that jordan girl said...

I've read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I loved it. I may have to start going through this list.....

Anonymous said...

i've read a handful of those. the ones i'd recommend the highest are midwives (one of the best endings i've ever read), the corrections, a million little pieces, the road, and middlesex (pretty much my favorite book ever). xxoo

Anonymous said...

All good recommendations. But I'll forever find it tragic that the only reason many Americans will read one of the greatest Russian novels is that Oprah said so...

Mitch said...

Pillars of the Earth is AMAZING! I have it, and its 'sequel'. Yeah-it's that good.